This frosting is used to decorate all of Gramma’s sugar cookies. She has a system for decorating each kind of cookie … for example, the birds always are blue with yellow beaks, and so on. One Christmas in Sequim when she broke her arm and couldn’t decorate them, the Santas came out psychedelic purple and green. That was the year of the now infamous “What is that? Cookie Contest” where everyone decorated a snowman. Among the entries … a hot air balloon, a stoplight, and Wally’s winning entry: “Boy on Potty.”
Sugar Cookie All-Purpose Frosting
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening ((Crisco))
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites (or, 3 tablespoons milk)
- few grains salt
- Mix half the sugar with the remaining ingredients and add the rest of the sugar gradually, whisking.
- Color with desired food coloring. (Gramma always uses pastel colors).
- Adjust consistency by adding more sugar if too thin or more milk if too thick